Understanding Federal and State Labor Laws
Atlanta labor law firm – The Reddy Law Firm, P.C.
Employment laws can be very complex and it can be difficult to know if you have a claim against your employer and whether federal labor laws or state laws take precedent. The Reddy Law Firm, P.C. in Atlanta will take the time to explain what laws pertain to your claim and make sure you understand how your case will progress. Attorney K.P. Reddy will make sure that the lines of communication remain open and will personally make sure all of your legal questions are answered.
The Reddy Law Firm, P.C. wants you to know that Georgia employment laws cannot interfere with federal employment laws or any guidelines created by federal agencies. Workplace relations became a federal issue in 1935 when the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) was enacted. Employees and their employers may have their relationships governed by Georgia laws if it is a case where the NLRA does not apply.
Some important federal labor laws that may apply to your case are:
- Affirmative action, which ensures equal employment opportunity for all people
- Child labor laws, which regulate labor restrictions for minors
- Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA), which establishes health coverage for those who have lost their plans
- Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination against those with disabilities
- Equal employment, which prohibits job discrimination
- Fair Labor Standards Act, which establishes minimum wage, standards for child labor, record keeping and overtime pay
- Family and Medical Leave Act, which allows unpaid leave for certain family situations
If you have any questions about a possible employment law claim please do not hesitate to contact The Reddy Law Firm, P.C. Atlanta employment attorney K.P. Reddy has more than 20 years of experience and is extremely knowledgeable of federal and state labor laws.