Atlanta Workplace Harassment Attorney Representing Clients Statewide
Harassment in the workplace is a serious matter. The business owner, office manager, or co-worker who harasses another employee threatens that person’s livelihood, productivity, dignity, and emotional well-being. Simply stated, no employee should be made to feel uncomfortable while doing his/her job.
Harassment is defined by the United States government as unlawful if:
- Enduring the offensive conduct becomes a condition of continued employment.
- The conduct is severe or pervasive enough to create a work environment that a reasonable person would consider intimidating, hostile, or abusive.
Examples of Harassment in the Workplace
Workplace harassment is not only unethical and unwelcome, but it’s also a problem that is not likely to resolve without action. Common examples of harassment on the job include:
- Offensive jokes, including those with racial or sexual overtones
- Unwanted sexual advances (verbal and physical) by a superior or co-worker (a.k.a. Sexual Harassment)
- Consistently being passed over for promotions or singled-out because of age or physical characteristics
There are a number of Federal and State statutes that prohibit harassment in the workplace. These include Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) and the Official Code of Georgia Title 45, and make harassment illegal in all aspects of employment, including:
- Hiring and firing
- Compensation, assignment or classification of employees
- Transfer, promotion, layoff or recall
- Job advertisements
- Use of company facilities
- Training and apprenticeship programs
- Fringe benefits
- Pay, retirement plans and disability leave
- Other terms and conditions of employment
What to do if you’ve been the victim of harassment
If you have experienced discrimination, abuse or sexual harassment in Atlanta at your workplace, The Reddy Law Firm, P.C. wants you to understand:
- It is not your fault.
- It may occur without injuring you economically or causing you to lose your job.
- It is a deliberate abuse of power -- this unethical behavior toward others is meant to torment and erode confidence.
- No one in Atlanta or elsewhere in Georgia has to work under such conditions.
- You should not be embarrassed to ask for help.
The Reddy Law Firm, P.C. brings nearly a quarter century of experience to employment law cases, including a track record of successful results in all types of harassment cases. We will help you determine what laws have been broken, and what your rights are to compensation. Equally as important, we will help prevent other employees from being harassed in the future, and improve the overall quality of work environments in our State.
Contact our office today at (678) 629-3246 or by email to confidentially discuss your situation with a member of our experienced legal team. We charge no fee for an initial phone consultation, and you’ll leave that discussion with the peace of mind to know what to do next. We represent clients across the State of Georgia, including the cities of Suwanee, Gainesville, Lithonia, Atlanta, and Norcross.